Official No: 0330610 Place Built: Vancouver Builder: Allied Shipbuilders Ltd. Year Built: 1969 Vehicle Capacity: 30 Passenger Capacity: 293 Crew: 7 Overall Length: 49.64 m Breadth: 14.63 m Gross Tons: 865.32 Service Speed: 11 knots Horsepower: 1,700
The Quadra Queen II was built for British Columbia's Ministry of Transportation and Highways fleet in 1969. She replaced the original Quadra Queen (renamed Cortes Queen and later Nicola) in November 1969 on the Campbell River to Quathiaski Cove (Quadra Island) route. She remained the primary ferry on this route for many years. In 1985, the Ministry's operations were taken over by BC Ferries. At some point in the late 1980's or early 1990's, the Quadra Queen II was relocated north to serve on the Port McNeill - Sointula - Alert Bay triangle run. The Quadra Queen is recognisable by native artwork painted at the forward end of her superstructure just below the bridge.
1969 - Quadra Queen II is built at Allied Shipyards in North Vancouver for the Ministry of Transportation and Highways.
1986 - October 6 - The Ministry's ferries and routes are transferred to BC Ferries.
Origin of Name
Quadra Queen II Named after Quadra Island, the island to which she initially provided ferry service. Quadra Island is named after Juan Francisco de la Bodega y Quadra who was a Spanish explorer on BC's coast in the late 18th century. He is famous for having met with British explorer Captain George Vancouver at Friendly Cove in Nootka Sound in 1792. ("Bodega y Quadra" - Encyclopedia of British Columbia)
For Further Reading
Clapp, Frank. Ministry of Transportation and Highways: Inland and Coastal Ferries. Victoria: Province of British Columbia, 1981. Also 1978 and 1991 editions.